Memory reallocation problem

Hello guys,

ive just wrote some lines to reallocate a string for expansion, but i got nothin but an overflow.

My codes below

char *val = "This is my string 1";

char *_value;

_value = (char *) malloc(sizeof val / sizeof *val);

_value = val;

char *app = ", hello world";

_value = (char *) realloc(_value, strlen(_value) + strlen(app); // failes

strcat(_value, app);

thanks in advance,

Luke
Last edited on
line 7 be breaking stuff. it leaks the memory you just got, and worse: you can't realloc a const char* (line 1).

unless you need your strings to be exactly sized to content (say, you have very little system memory on your wristwatch?) you should use char arrays of a fixed size (say 200 or whatever characters, consider a typedef).
Last edited on
ok, ive just changed line 7 to strcpy(_value, val), but im still failin
now, check the actual # of bytes from line 5.
I think sizeof isnt doing what you think its doing.
you want strlen(val)+ something, and do not forget to leave space for the terminal zero.

what, exactly, is your goal?
Last edited on
In your example sizeof(val) is the size of a char* pointer, not the string length!

If you want to allocate a buffer large enough to hold a string, use strlen() to determine the length:
char *buffer = (char*) malloc(strlen(str) + 1);
if (buffer != NULL)
{
    strcpy(buffer, str);
}
else
{
    /* failed to allocate memory! */
}

Note: Make sure to allocate one extra slot for the NULL terminator that strlen() doesn't count!

Also note that malloc() can fail, so always check result of malloc() for NULL value!

...or simply use the strdup() function, which copies string into newly allocated buffer:
char *buffer = strdup(str);
if (buffer != NULL)
{
    /* success */
}
else
{
    /* failed to copy string! */
}
Last edited on
kigar64551 wrote:
...use the strdup() function

I've never heard of that function before, most likely because it is POSIX (non-Windows).

At one time it was part of the "dynamic memory TR", and so required some testing to see if the implementation had it.
https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/experimental/dynamic/strdup

Now it is part of C23 (Visual Studio only goes to C17 at this time).

To work with VS use _strdup, even in C legacy mode (the VS default).
'strdup': The POSIX name for this item is deprecated. Instead, use the ISO C and C++ conformant name: _strdup.

BTW, that's one cool C string function. :)
As an aside:

Not specified in Standard C or POSIX, but available on Linux (glibc) as well as *BSD:

The functions asprintf() and vasprintf() are analogs of sprintf() and vsprintf(), except that they allocate a string large enough to hold the output including the terminating null byte, and return a pointer to it via the first argument.
int asprintf(char **strp, const char *fmt, ...);
int vasprintf(char **strp, const char *fmt, va_list ap);

There is an implementation for MSVC available too:
https://pastebin.com/FfcGfrL5
Last edited on
I think I'll stick with C/C++ functions that cppreference has documentation on, thankyouverymuch. :D

Personally I'll work with C++ std::string first and foremost. And when I need some C string mangling I'll make do with the ol' stand-by stuff of strcpy, etc. :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.