• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Spam bots and the Windows Programming Fo

Spam bots and the Windows Programming Forum

Why is the Windows forum so attractive to the bastards?

I really don't care, but it is rather amusingly weird watching them swarm like flies on a fresh turd.
But of course the Windows forum isn't the only one where the swarming happens. 2nd the UNIX/Linux, though every one does get spammed on occasion.

Even Jobs gets hit.
Maybe it's just that the Windows forum get less visits and therefore less chance of getting reported/removed immediately?
I see less visits to UNIX/Linux than to Windows.

All I know is when I see the <new> flag on the main forum list I go look and stomp on the bots as needed.

Being medically retired and bored enough to hang around here frequently at cplusplus doesn't hurt either.
I often see Linux or Windows in the titles of the bot posts. I think it's some attempt at SEO.
> I see less visits to UNIX/Linux than to Windows.
¿how do you access that information?
¿how do you access that information?

I access that info by using my eyeballs. Nothing more or less precise. Guesstimation.

I see less spam posts in UNIX/Linux than I do Windows during my time here. Whether that is the actual case, since I very likely don't see every spam post done 24/7/365.
Squash them damned spam bots!
I just removed a spam post in the General C++ Programming forum.

EDIT: 16 minutes later I removed another one from the same forum.

George P wrote:
All I know is when I see the <new> flag on the main forum list I go look and stomp on the bots as needed.

Personally I don't go to the http://cplusplus.com/forum/ page very often. Instead I mostly jump between the Beginners and the General C++ Programming forums. Of course I check the other forums too from time to time (except the Jobs forum) but much less frequently.
Last edited on
Two Windows forum spam posts squashed, from a single spam bot.

Adios, M'Fer.
Spam bot, Windows, eradicated.
One spam post in General C++ Programming was removed.

EDIT:
* And one in Beginners.
* And another one in General C++ Programming.
Last edited on
Squashed a spam bot in General.
Two posts in Windows by a single spam bot went *squish!*
Smashed a spam bot that piggy-backed onto someone's post in Beginners.
Is there a reason you're suddenly announcing every spam post you report? Who do you think needs to know about them?
The reason I did it was so that people could see it was not only in the Windows forum and perhaps be able to draw some conclusions about the spam bots' choice of forum. But it's pretty meaningless so I guess I should stop.
Last edited on
I was cogitating on why the spammers appear to prefer spamming the Windows forum....do they think Win users are dumb enough (as opposed to *nix users) to click their toxic sewage links?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.