The site now has a mobile view

Pages: 12
Can't post in the mobile view even though the site does say I am logged in.
I can log in and post from Chrome mobile.

For sites that I do need to change to not be mobile, I usually have to check the "use desktop site" box, and then still manually remove the m from the URL.
Edit: Oh, but I see what you mean now, it's forcing mobile even when I've done that. Pretty cruddy.
Last edited on
Well, now on the mobile site does notice someone is already logged in and allow for making replies.
This reply is via the mobile site URL.
Oh yeah, I noticed too.

Nice to see some changes :)
The biggest shocker here is that, apparantly, this site is still being actively developed!

;)
Hopefully the "can't see the preview" when writing an initial post is looked at and fixed. :Þ
Yeah, there are some honking big bugs that, you would think, would have higher priority than a whole new mobile-friendly view. And improving the functionality of the existing forum would probably be more helpful than a mobile view.

And, frankly, more actively moderating troublemakers would be, from my perspective, a more beneficial use of time than developing a mobile view.

Being charitable, it's possible that developing a mobile view has been a long-term project that has taken up all of admin's time, and that now that it's done, there might now be more focus on the other things many of us would like to see happen.
Did mobile view disappear for anyone else?
@Duthomhas, make your window smaller and reload the page.
Last edited on
I'm currently reading on my Android.

Worked yesterday, stopped today. I changed nothing on my end.
Mobile view is working for me on my desktop with Firefox and on my fire tablet with Amazon silk.
If you (accidentally) press "No, thanks" it seems like you cannot change mode unless you restart your browser (or clear your cookies).

Update:

If I click "No, thanks" to the mobile version I can later type m.cplusplus.com into the address bar and get to choose again.

But if I click "No thanks" to the desktop version I am automatically redirected to the mobile version if I later try to visit the desktop version (unless I increase the size of the browser window).

It feels like there are still some improvements to be made...
Last edited on
@Peter87, clearly the mobile site is a "work in progress." Let's hope some of the more egregious issues with the non-mobile site get addressed and fixed as well. Soon.
Mobile View working for me again.
When logged out there are links to "Beta version" (mobile) and "Legacy version" (desktop). This makes me wonder if the plan is to eventually let every one use this new version.
I wonder why there is no communication from the admin?
I wonder why there is no communication from the admin?

Probably doesn't wanna deal with the people here. Either this is a small side project and his mind is focused else where, or he simply doesn't have the time to try and appease any issues.
He has always preferred to be a bit hands-off. Also, this site came from his uni days when he had a lot of time to pour into it. These days he has a life with plenty of other stuff on his plate. The site is special to him, though, so he does dink with it from time to time to keep it as functional as possible.
Since I was already on my phone. I installed the app Termux. Using the package manager in Termux I installed: clang++, vim, and CMake.

Works better than I expected.

Regarding the site, it's still buggy. It's a bit difficult to sign-in. You really have to know how, or be determined to sign-in. As far as I can tell, the only way to sign-in using Firefox is to first enter a thread. The sign-in button at the top right still doesn't work. It is definitely not new-userto-the-site friendly.
Pages: 12