MissingManifestResourceException

Hi, I am getting this error when I run my program. When I add more characters to my text box it crashes when I run the program. If I have less characters in the text box it runs fine. Same thing happens with other controls that contain text.

System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.

Seems like a memory error? If so what can I do?

Sorry for another question...
Please give more information and/or show some source code!

Is this really a pure C++/Win32 question? Are you using some sort of GUI framework?

"System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException" sounds more like .NET to me:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.resources.missingmanifestresourceexception?view=net-6.0
Last edited on
It reminds me a buffer overflow or stack overflow. Check allocation memory for strings ++
Yeah that’s probably it. I have over 100 labels on the form. I am able to add more code to the source code without a problem. Just not text in the designer/control.

I am using c++ cli visual studio. I have way too much code to be able to show and wouldn’t know where to start
Last edited on
Again, which framework/toolkit do you use to create the GUI? Be aware that C++ itself does not provide any GUI features, but there are many GUI toolkits/frameworks written in C++ (Qt, wxWidgets, etc. pp.)

But from your error message, it would seem like you are using Microsoft.NET, not C++.

Anyways, just a wild guess: If you have such a huge number of labels, it's probably not a good idea to create them all in the GUI designer. Instead, try creating them dynamically, in the program code. Like this:

for (int i = 0; i  < 100; ++i)
{
    layout.addWidget(new Label(/*...*/));
}

(Of course, the details depend on which GUI framework/toolkit you are using!)
Last edited on
Thanks for your reply.

I am using Visual studio 2019 with a c++ cli project. I’m assuming that is using.net.
Using the designer. I added a help button that shows a message box. That seems to work.
Still no luck on the text box control though. Using Window 10 os
Neither C++ in genereal nor CLI (command-line interface) has anything to do with GUI or .NET 😕

So it's still not clear what technology your are using...
Last edited on
Sorry...

I am using "Microsoft.NET SDK 5.0.101 (x64) from Visual Studio"
That's what it says in control panel/Programs.

As for GUI... I'm using windows forms. Windows 10. Not sure what else you mean.
Last edited on
cli in this context means Common Language Infrastructure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B/CLI

It's MS attempt to shoehorn .net into C++ - with a 'new' language c++/cli
cli in this context means Common Language Infrastructure

I see.

As for GUI... I'm using windows forms.

So, you are using Microsoft.NET with the Windows Forms GUI toolkit. That is the relevant information.

Still my suggestion, if you need a huge number of labels, then it's probably better to create those labels at run-time, by using a loop, instead of creating them at design-time one-by-one.

See chapter "2. Run-Time" here:
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-set-text-on-the-label-in-c-sharp/

The example code shows how to programmatically create label. They only create one label, yes, but you get the idea. I think you should be able to easily create a loop around that code!
Last edited on
Shouldn't this work? I had to convert the sample from C# to C++. I now get this error

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

private: System::Void Music_Load(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e)
	{
		// Creating and setting the label
		Label^ mylab1;
		mylab1->AutoSize = true;
		mylab1->BackColor = System::Drawing::Color::White;
		mylab1->Font = (gcnew System::Drawing::Font(L"Microsoft Sans Serif", 24, System::Drawing::FontStyle::Bold, System::Drawing::GraphicsUnit::Point,
			static_cast<System::Byte>(0)));
		mylab1->ForeColor = System::Drawing::Color::Blue;
		mylab1->Location = System::Drawing::Point(376, 1287);
		mylab1->Name = L"label14";
		mylab1->Size = System::Drawing::Size(125, 37);
		mylab1->Text = "Sample Text";
		Controls->Add(mylab1);
        }

I found this link.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4660142/what-is-a-nullreferenceexception-and-how-do-i-fix-it

EDIT
I got it working. Had to create the control further up in the code adding the line instead. like this...

private: System::Windows::Forms::Label^ mylab1;

Not sure why. Something to do with Scope? or wrong namespaces?
Last edited on
Is there a "mylab1 =" anywhere in your code? (space between 1 and = optional)
Last edited on
yes there is...
this->mylab1 = (gcnew System::Windows::Forms::Label());
This problem is solved.program no longer crashes if I create the control with text at runtime like you suggested.
Thanks a lot.
Just to follow-up on my question and your answer. The difference is that
private: System::Windows::Forms::Label^ mylab1; exists in the scope of your class, and is initialized properly (your second to last post).

The Label^ mylab1; you create in Music_Load is only a local variable, and is never initialized.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.